Saturday 20 August 2011

Chicken Paprika

As I was doing my usual grocery shopping at Woolworths I came across Margaret Fulton's chicken paprika recipe. It looks simple enough that I decided to try the recipe out. The result was very satisfying indeed although I would suggest the next time I make this dish again I would put less sour cream. I tend to hate cooking with drumsticks cause I find it hard to cook them well but this dish was easy and the chicken was cooked to perfection. One thing about this dish, its called chicken paprika but there wasn't much paprika flavour at all so maybe next time I would add more paprika to enhance that flavour that we are expecting.

Ingredients
8 Chicken drumsticks
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
15g unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp of sweet or hot paprika
1 tbsp flour
1 1/4 (310ml) of chicken stock
1 red capsicum, seeded and cut into thick strips
2 large tomatoes, diced
1/4 chopped parsley
300ml light sour cream
1 cup of basmati rice (or basically any rice of your choice)



 Method
1) Remove excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with a paper towel and season it with a little salt.

2) Heat oil and butter in a large heavy-based flameproof casserole dish on medium high. Brown chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from pan and set aside.

3) Reduce heat to medium and cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring until softened. Add paprika and flour and stir until combined, taking care not to burn. Add stock and stir until simmering. Return chicken to pan. Add capsicum and tomato with half of the chopped parsley and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes until chicken is tender.

4) Stir in sour cream (or serve separately) and remaining parsley, season to taste and serve with rice.


And sooooo the finish product!
...


4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness your blog is amazing! I'm from Melbourne too so I must check out all these restaurants you review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Ellen! Glad you love my blog and I hope you'll enjoy visiting them as much as I did! Hope you spread my blog around as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe :-) my partner loves cooking this up for our kids and us :-) we are having it for dinner tonight. . yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used pasta instead of rice second time. First time used rice and it was excellent. Now, second time it smells really, really nice and looks georgeus.

    ReplyDelete